I don't remember the specific incident that triggered the realization that this was not true. But it was something along the lines of having friends over for dinner, mom's chili to be exact, me asking if they would like a half or whole peanut butter sandwich, and receiving perplexed looks that hinted that I had lost my marbles. "A peanut butter sandwich and chili!?"
Apparently this was just another strange thing I was raised to eat and think was completely normal. Her excuse is that this is how they always served chili when she was in school. And you know what? I will forever love those lunch ladies for this weird combination. And do you know why? Because it is delicious. I know it's strange. Really strange for that matter. But you have to try it. You will never ever regret the decision to do so.
So this is my request.
1) Make a pot of this chili
2) Slather a few pieces of bread with your favorite peanut butter
3) Slap them together
4) Dunk the sandwich into the chili
6) Wash down with a big glass of milk
7) Get back on here and tell me how much you loved it
Please and thank you.
with a Peanut Butter Sandwich
- 2 lbs ground turkey meat
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 green pepper, diced
- 1 red pepper, diced
- 1 large yellow onion, diced
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 28oz can diced tomatoes in juice
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 3 tablespoons taco seasoning
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne
- 1 can corn, drained
- 1 can black beans, drained
1. In a large pot heat 2 tablespoons olive oil and drop in turkey meat. Brown the meat.
2. When the meat is cooked add 2 more tablespoons olive oil and throw in the diced vegetables and garlic. Allow vegetables to get soft. Around 3-5 minutes.
3. Pour in diced tomatoes, 1 tablespoon tomato paste, and spices. Stir to combine.
4. Bring to a boil. When it starts boiling turn down the heat and let simmer for 20-25 minutes.
5. After 20-25 minutes add corn and black beans. Let simmer for an additional 10 minutes.
6. Make up a peanut butter sandwich, grab some cheese, and any other toppings you desire.
7. Eat, enjoy, and don't forget to dunk!