Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Ooey Gooey Butter Cake


Do you know about the most sinful dessert of all sinful desserts?  Are you from Missouri or somewhere close by?  If you answered no to the latter then you would probably have to answer no the the first.  I'm sorry but that's just how it works.

I'm talking about Gooey Butter Cake.  Yeah, you heard me.  Ooey Gooey Butter Cake.

Fun fact: Gooey Butter Cake was invented in St. Louis, Missouri in the late 1930's. 
 (I won't go into  details but if you want to know more...click {here})

And apparently this luscious dessert hasn't spread too far from it's roots in the last 70 years.  No one, and I mean NO ONE, that I've questioned about Gooey Butter Cake here in Boston seems to know what in the world I'm talking about.  So, I have been trying to educate the New England population by promptly placing a piece in their hand or somewhere close to their mouth, whichever I can get to first.  It seems to be working quite well...

 ...Until they ask what's in it.  If you are diabetic, watching your weight, or go weak at the knees by the sight of unhealthy things...I advise that you stop scrolling here.  Or at least sit down first.

St. Louis Ooey Gooey Butter Cake

Makes: 1 9x13inch pan   Prep Time: 10 minutes   Bake Time: 40-45 minutes   Total Time: 50-55 minutes

{Print Me}

Ingredients:
  • 1 package yellow cake mix
  • 4 eggs
  • 1 stick of butter, melted
  • 1 package cream cheese
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla
  • 1 1lb box powdered sugar
Directions:
  1. Preheat oven to 350°.
  2. Combine cake mix, 2 eggs, and melted butter with a large spoon.  Pat into the bottom of a 9x13 pan.
  3. With an electric mixer, combine cream cheese, 2 eggs, and vanilla until smooth.  Slowly add the powdered sugar until all of it is incorporated.
  4. Slowly pour over cake mixture.
  5. Bake for 40-45 minutes.
  6. Let cool and enjoy! 


P.S. - I'm currently rummaging through my cookbooks and the internet for some yummy Easter treats.  Requests/suggestions/favorites anyone?

4 comments:

  1. Gooey Butter cake is one of my favorites because once it's baked there's nothing else to do but eat it. I have a lucious recipe for an Angel Food cake recipe split into three layers and filled with fruit, whipped cream, and instant pudding mix that gets lots of oohs and aahs. I'm making it for Easter dinner. If you're interested, I'll email you the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooooh Goodness! That's sounds fabulous! I'll get my email to you immediately :)

      Delete
  2. I LOVE Gooey Butter Cake! I never realized it was a local thing here in Missouri...you keep spreading the word and you will be like Johnny Appleseed. "Gooey Butter Cake Emilie" :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't either! Not until all of these deprived people looked at ME like I was crazy did I look up the origins of Gooey Butter Cake. I kind of dig the nickname. I think I'll start spreading that too :)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...