Friday, May 18, 2012

Homemade Beer Pretzels



I received a request from Miss Katy Rose at the Small Things blog for some good homemade pretzels...probably 6 months ago.

And I'm finally obliging.  Obviously not in a very timely fashion but hey, better late than never.  Right?


I actually decided to make these in a very roundabout way the other day while I was reading one of her blog posts.  I was reading {this} one about her last summer in Columbia and my heart started to well up with tears.  Not my eyes.  My heart.

You see, I abandoned Katy to come to Boston several years ago.  We spent one glorious year together as suitemates and then I just up and left.  Which was painfully tearing at my heart as I read through her list of things to do this summer because I desperately want to be there for all of them.  I did breathe a small sigh of relief when I saw number 27, thankful that seeing me made it onto the list of 34 things she plans to do in the next three months.

So...uh...the pretzels.  Right.  I decided to make these after I read her blog because well...I missed her.  And this seemed like a satisfactory way to ease the pain.  Makes sense right?

homemade beer pretzels... 

Makes: 8 or 9 pretzels   Prep Time: 15 minutes + 1 hour rising time   Bake Time: 15 minutes   Total Time: 1 1/2 hours

{Printable Recipe}

Ingredients:
3 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup beer (I used Blue Moon)
1/4 cup warm water
1 tablespoon yeast
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon sugar
2 cups hot water
1 egg, beaten
course sea salt for sprinkling

for the honey mustard dipping sauce-
1/4 cup mayo
1/4 cup dijon mustard
2 tablespoons honey
2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar


Gather these items.


In a small bowl, combine 1/4 cup warm water, sugar, and yeast.  Stir and let the bowl sit for 5-10 minutes or until the yeast starts to foam.


 In a large bowl, add the beer...


 foamy yeast mixture...


 flour...


 and salt.


Stir it all together with a wooden spoon until the dough comes together.  If it's too dry add a little bit of water, and if it's too wet add a bit of flour.


Move dough ball to a floured surface and knead for 10 minutes.  Place ball in a well oiled large bowl, cover with a damp cloth, and let rise for an hour.  After an hour, preheat the oven to 425° and divide the large dough ball into 8 or 9 (somewhat) evenly sized balls.


If you've ever been to Auntie Anne's you know how this works.  But if not....roll each ball into a thin strip.


Put in a U shape.


And fold each side up and across.


And for goodness sake you're making HOMEMADE pretzels, so don't worry about uniformity.


In a medium bowl combine 2 cups hot water and 1 teaspoon baking soda.  Dip each pretzel in water for 5-10 seconds and then place them on a well greased baking sheet.  Allow pretzels to sit for 10 minutes.


After 10 minutes brush each pretzel with the egg wash.  This will make them nice and shiny.


Sprinkle with course sea salt and throw them in the oven for 15 minutes.


While the pretzels are baking, combine mayo, dijon, apple cider vinegar, and honey.


Grab those babies out of the oven.


Tear off a piece and dunk into honey mustard.


It's funny how fast they come home when homemade pretzels are involved compared to dishes needing to be done....


Enjoy!  Miss you Katy Rose!

P.S. -- Come back tomorrow for a yummy shrimp dish and a story about how I sacrificed the tip of my finger.  Like the whole tip.  Don't worry, pictures will not be involved.

5 comments:

  1. I swear I love eating beer flavored things more than I like drinking it! haha.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very excited to try these!!
    Just curious - your ingredient list calls for baking soda, but in the process text you said baking powder. I'm assuming it was soda, yes?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it's baking soda! Thank you so much for pointing that out! I've changed it now. Oops :)

      Delete
  3. such a nice presentation you have given for making beer pretzels. wanna make them at home. came over from courtney's blog.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...