Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Creamy Avocado Salad on a Croissant

Yesterday in my weekly Meal Plan Monday post I mentioned how I may or may not be destined to be a baker.

I also recognized that this might be jumping the gun a bit.  But that's irrelevant.

I've always wanted to make homemade croissants but hadn't ever accumulated the courage to just go for it.  (Side note: I get mildly upset when baking projects don't work out...which is a horrible way to respond but...it only lasts for 15 minutes...max.)  But last week something happened inside me and I finally decided it was time.  So, I ran to the kitchen and started the two-day process.  After two days, my kitchen was covered in a thin coating of flour and I was staring at the most lovely, buttery, and flaky croissants I had ever laid eyes on.  (That's not true, I've seen better but let's pretend...)  I quickly handed some over to the guys for testing purposes.  And before I could even get a report they had devoured several more.

After this Kaston determined that I should 1) make these everyday and 2) start a croissant truck...which he is already developing sandwich combinations for.

And that brings us to these croissant sandwiches!  This sandwich started out being one of Kaston's creations.  But then he left me alone in the kitchen and it became mine.  I completely twisted his idea and caused a very confused look to come about his face when I brought in the sandwich that *he created*.  Kaston's sandwich or not, this thing was delicious.  And um healthy

Homemade croissants aren't necessary but highly recommended if you have the time and patience.  And really...croissants aren't necessary either but still highly recommended.  But if you want bread, I say throw it on some bread.  If you want it on a salad, throw it on a salad.  And if you just want it in a bowl with a spoon, I respect that too.  Just enjoy it.  Anyway you like.


Makes: 2 Croissant Sandwiches  Prep Time: 5 minutes  Cook Time: 10-12 minutes (for the hard boiled egg)  Total Time: 15 minutes



Ingredients:
1 hard boiled egg, sliced
1 avocado, mashed
several slices tomato, quartered
several slices cucumber, quartered
1/4 cup crumbled feta cheese
2 teaspoons Greek yogurt
1/2 teaspoon red wine vinegar
1/2 teaspoon dried dill
salt and pepper to taste
handful of pea shoots
2 croissants or 4 pieces of bread

Directions:
Combine all of the ingredients in a medium bowl and stir to combine.  Taste and adjust seasonings to your liking.  Slice open the croissants and divide the mixture between the two.  Top with pea shoots and enjoy!


5 comments:

  1. I was waiting to see a picture of these homemade croissants... oh my gosh! They look absolutely mouth watering! Did you ever link to the recipe you used?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my goodness they were! I used a recipe from my Flour cookbook so the recipe isn't online. I just did a quick search to see if anyone else had put it up and couldn't find it. Sometime soon I will type it up and put it in this post so that everyone else can enjoy :)

      Delete
  2. This is fantastic ....thanks so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for the recipe. It was good. I used wheat bread but I think it would have been better with croissants, as suggested. I used a garlic press/crusher to mush up chunks of avocado. This was a good way to use up left-over greek yogurt (from tzaziki).

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...