Thursday, August 23, 2012

Zucchini and Mint Gazpacho with Radish Salsa

Finally, after 7 days of being in Missouri I have made a home cooked meal.  It's sad, but true.  I went an entire week without preparing food.  And I didn't like it one bit.  Except for the times when I was feasting at my favorite restaurants, having a glass of wine, and enjoying great company instead of slaving in the kitchen.  That part wasn't so bad.

Several days ago my mother kindly informed me that I would be preparing dinner for some of their friends.  This time constrained news sent me into a planning frenzy.  Luckily, I was informed that Tom, a good friend of my parents who happens to be a phenomenal cook and sincere food lover, would be grilling the main dishes leaving me in charge of only the side dishes and dessert.  Whew. 

After speaking with Tom about what he would be grilling I started to pull some things together.  I knew I wanted some late summer veggies, a lot of color, and things that would go well with some steak and grilled seafood.  Flavor was also on the list.  Obviously. 

And so...this is what we ended up with:
  
the appetizers - Spicy Grilled Portobello Mushrooms plus a Shrimp and Avocado Salsa
the sides - Zucchini and Mint Gazpacho with Radish Salsa, Lobster and Apple Summer Salad, Baked Summer Tomatoes, and Cheesy Garlic Biscuits
the "meats" - Grilled Swordfish, Filet, and Garlic Shrimp
the sweet stuff - Toasted Coconut Cream Pie

Not too shabby, right?

As it should be completely obvious...we feasted.  However, I managed to take a few pictures before everyone started digging in just so I could share with you.  Feeling special?

The first one I'm going to share is the gazpacho.

Because I absolutely adored it.  It was light.  Refreshing.  Eye-popping colors.  Great flavor.  And it was my first attempt at a non-tomato gazpacho.  I'm sold.


Adapted from Coastal Living Magazine

Makes: 4-6 servings   Prep Time: 15 minutes   Chill Time: 1 hour   Total Time: 1 hour 15 minutes

{Printable Recipe}

Ingredients:
1 pound zucchini, cut in half lengthwise and sliced
1/3 cup green onions, sliced
1/4 cup fresh mint leaves, plus more for garnish
1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
1 slice bread, torn into pieces (I used ciabatta)
1 teaspoon sea salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
2 garlic cloves, minced
1/4 cup olive oil, divided
3/4 cup water
1/2 cup radish, finely chopped
1 tablespoon red onion, finely chopped
1 tablespoon chives, finely chopped
1 tablespoon cilantro, finely chopped

Directions:
1. Combine first 8 ingredients with 3 tablespoons olive oil and 3/4 cup water in a blender.  Puree until smooth.  Taste and adjust seasoning if needed.  Cover and chill for 1 hour.
2. Combine radish and the next 3 ingredients in a small bowl.  Add remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil, tossing to coat.  Pour gazpacho into bowls and top with radish salsa.  Garnish with mint leaves or fresh chive.  Serve immediately.









3 comments:

  1. This looks fantastic! Love the bright colour! Great way to use up the last of the fresh summer produce. I have a bunch of zucchini from the garden to be used up. Thanks for the awesome idea :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved the color as well! Especially with the bright red radish salsa on top! So pretty!

      Delete
  2. How beautiful - your photos rock! Thanks for submitting to my zucchini round up!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...