Monday, October 8, 2012

Moroccan Stuffed Squash

Bad news folks.

No Meal Plan Monday today.

I have a pretty crazy week ahead of me.  One that's going to consist of...babysitting before class in the morning, going to classes in the afternoon, babysitting after class and through dinner, going home, going to bed, repeat.

Whew.  I'm already tired just thinking about it.

Since I won't be home...at all...I thought it would be silly to make a meal plan.  Right?

So, I'm presenting you with a recipe instead!

Fair?  I think so...

This recipe came out of my newly purchased Sprouted Kitchen cookbook.  Which I absolutely adore.  And when I say adore I mean I'm mildly obsessed with it.  So don't be alarmed when I go on a Sprouted Kitchen recipe frenzy.  The book is only so long...

moroccan stuffed squash... 
with feta and toasted pistachios.


Makes: 4-6 servings   Prep Time: 10 minutes   Cook Time: 30-40 minutes   Total Time: 50 minutes

{Printable Recipe}

Ingredients:
2 medium acorn squash
3 tablespoons coconut oil
salt and pepper to taste
1 cup grain (I used the harvest grain mix but quinoa, cous cous, etc will do)
1 (13.5 ounce) can light coconut milk
1 teaspoon paprika
1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
1/2 teaspoon cumin
2 tablespoons grated lemon zest
2 tablespoons chopped fresh mint
3 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
2 tablespoons freshly squeezed orange juice
1/2 cup pomegranate seeds
1/2 cup feta cheese, plus more for garnish
1/2 cup chopped toasted pistachios

Directions:
  1. Preheat the oven to 425°.  Cut the acorn squash in half lengthwise and scoop out the seeds.  Rub 1 tablespoon of the coconut oil on the cut sides of the squash halves and sprinkle with salt and pepper.  Place the squash, cut side down, on a baking sheet and pierce the skin a few times with a fork.  Roast for 20 minutes.
  2. While the squash is cooking, rinse your grain in a fine mesh strainer.  Bring the coconut milk to a gentle boil over medium-high heat, with a pinch of salt and pepper.  Add the grain, turn the heat down to a simmer and cover.  Cook until the liquid is absorbed, 15-18 minutes.  Then turn off the heat and let the quinoa steam in the pot for 5 minutes.
  3. Add the remaining 2 tablespoons coconut oil, paprika, coriander, cumin to the quinoa and toss to combine.  Add lemon zest, mint, cilantro, orange juice, pomegranate seeds, and feta and toss together.  Taste and add salt and pepper, if needed. (This step can be done up to two days ahead, mixing everything together except the feta.)
  4. Take the squash from the oven and flip them over.  Divide the quinoa evenly between the 4 squash quarters.  Place back in the oven for 10-20 minutes or until the squash is tender and the quinoa mixture is heated through.
  5. Garnish with additional feta and toasted pistachios.









4 comments:

  1. these are some damn good pics!
    did you use a tripod?
    you make squash actually look yummy !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! And no I don't use a tripod! I totally need one though.

      Delete
  2. Love the Sprouted Kitchen cookbook too! So many recipes to try!!!! :) This one looks amazing. I have an acorn squash waiting to be used in the pantry. Definitely going to make this. Love the addition of pistachios and feta! Mmm!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so wonderful!! I can't wait to make more from it. And I'll definitely be posting them.

      Can't go wrong with the addition of pistachios and feta on anything!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...