Friday, November 30, 2012

Chewy Gingersnap Cookies

It's been a while hasn't it?

I'm closing in on my last couple of days of class...and well...it's getting a little crazy.

So crazy in fact that I probably shouldn't even be writing this blog post.  But who is going to stop me?

Probably no one.  But I'll keep it short and sweet just in case.

First I must ask...have you signed up for the giveaway yet?  No??  Well that's silly.  Because you should.  Tonight at midnight I will choose a winner for my Plenty Cookbook giveaway.  Don't know what that is?  Click {here} to see the book.  All you have to do is click {here} and leave a comment telling me something about your Thanksgiving.  For extra chances to win you can share the giveaway on facebook or twitter.  So go go go!  You don't have much time!

Next...these cookies.

My kitchen has successfully transitioned into a full steam ahead holiday baking kitchen.  Has yours?  I've been cranking out cookies left and right and have plans for quite a few more festive holiday treats before we head back to Missouri.  Tis the season right?

If any of you have met me...you probably know how much I love ginger.  Like...really love it.  I want it in and on everything.  Cooking.  Baking.  Doesn't matter.   I like when it's involved.  And these cookies are no exception.  I played with the thought of adding crystallized ginger but didn't for fear that it would completely throw off the texture.  I also desperately wanted to add white chocolate chunks just to give them a little boost.  But of course not one of the four grocery stores in my neighborhood carries white chocolate.  Nor do they carry yeast...but that's a story for a different time.  These cookies are perfectly soft.  But perfectly chewy.  A balance that is 100% necessary for gingersnap cookies in my opinion.

Throw these babies into your baking arsenal.  Everyone involved will thank you.

gingersnap cookies


adapted from two peas & their pod


Makes: About 3 dozen cookies
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Bake Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 15 minutes (for the first batch!)

{Printable Recipe}

Ingredients:
1 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
1 cup light brown sugar
1/3 cup molasses
2 tablespoons canola oil
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 1/4 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1 1/4 teaspoons cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground cloves
1 teaspoon ground ginger
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
2 large eggs
3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 cups white chocolate chunks (optional)
1/2 cup granulated sugar for coating cookies

Directions:
  1. Preheat the oven to 350°F.  Line two large baking sheets with parchment paper.
  2. In a large bowl mix together flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, cloves, ginger, and nutmeg.  Set aside.
  3. In the bowl of a stand mixer, cream together butter and sugar until light and smooth.  Beat in the molasses, canola oil, and vanilla.
  4. Add the eggs, one at a time, and beat until smooth.
  5. Slowly add in the flour mixture and mix until fully incorporated.  Stir in white chocolate chunks (if using).
  6. Scoop the dough into balls and roll in granulated sugar.  Place on the lined baking sheets about two inches apart and bake for 10 minutes.  Remove from oven and let cookies cool on the baking sheet for five minutes.  Transfer to a wire rack and cool completely.



2 comments:

  1. These look delicious! My boys requested cookies and eggnog on this rainy Friday. These might just be the cookies we make!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yummmmmm! I adore gingersnaps! These look wonderful :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...