Friday, June 7, 2013

Mango and Candied Ginger Sorbet

Oh come on.

You didn't actually think I was going to leave for three weeks without doing another blog post did you?  Oh...you think that sounds like a typical move of mine?  Well.  You're right.  But not this time!

It's one of those mornings that I totally have my priorities in line.  I should be packing and getting everything ready for the trip but instead I'm sitting in the leaving room, listening to the storm outside, and working on blog posts.  I'm going to be freaking out in a couple of hours but it's totally worth it.  There's nothing like blogging on rainy mornings.



A rainy and somewhat cold morning doesn't seem like the ideal time to be posting about a fruity summer sorbet.  However, I feel that sorbet is ideal at all times and therefore negates the whole issue.

I decided to go with mango in this recipe because I loved the idea of mango and ginger together.  But it would be divine with basically any other ripe fruit.  I say head to your garden, farmers market, or local grocery store and scope out the best looking fruit around.  If it's ripe and looks delicious you're sorbet will probably be even more delicious.  And if you come up with mind blowing flavor combinations I would love to hear about them!

It tastes like a treat, it looks like a treat, and it's super healthy.  What more can you ask for?  Go make some sorbet!

PS- I'll try to be as diligent as possible about posting while I'm on the road for the next three weeks!  I definitely have some stored up recipes and some guest bloggers to share so keep your eyes peeled!



Adapted from Cooking with the Seasons at Rancho La Puerta 

Makes: 6 servings
Prep Time: 2 hours in the freezer + 10 minutes preparation
Cook Time: None!
Total Time: 2 hours 10 minutes

{Printable Recipe}

Ingredients:
1 1/2 bananas (about 1 cup), chopped into 1-inch cubes
2 cups ripe mango (or other fruit), peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces
1/2 cup fresh orange juice
2 tablespoons fresh lime juice (about 1 lime)
zest of 1 lime
2-3 tablespoons minced candied ginger, or more to taste
edible flower to garnish (optional)

Directions:
  1. Freeze fruit cubes on a sheet pan for several hours until they are solid.  Remove from freezer and let stand about 5 minutes.
  2. Place the fruit in the bowl of a food processor with the orange and lime juice, the lime zest, and ginger.  Puree until creamy.
  3. Add ginger, as needed, to taste.  Serve in chilled sorbet dishes, martini glasses, or bowls.  Garnish each serving with a flower or two.







No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...