Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Tequila Lime Fish Tacos with Slaw and Chipotle Mayo

I said I was getting my buns back in the kitchen this week and I wasn't kidding.  The posts are already piling up on me and it's only Wednesday morning!  What good news for you right?  Let's just cross our fingers that I don't get distracted from a new recipe and forget about the ones that I've already done...because I tend to do that...often.



When it comes to Fish Tacos...the options are quite literally endless.

Which makes it an incredibly fun dish to play around with.  You can go in any direction your heart desires.  Haddock, Halibut, Tilapia, Salmon, Cod...Fried, Pan Seared, Grilled...The sauces...The toppings...The combinations could go on and on.

And of course everyone has created the *best* fish taco combination EVER.  So, I'm not going to claim that.  Because their are more than a few that I happen to really love.  --Mango and avocado salsa with salmon, Blackened fish with a creamy sauce of sorts, Perfectly grilled halibut with bean salsa and a healthy dose of avocado spread...Once again the list could go on and on.

But there is definitely a key to this recipe that puts it up on the top of my list.  The red cabbage slaw.  This stuff is the bee's knees.  And I don't use that term lightly.  Luckily you're going to end up with a bit more than needed for your tacos.  So please liberally add it to everything you eat until it disappears.  That's what I've been doing.  And it's heavenly.

Even though I'm in love with the slaw, the fish, sriracha mayo, and marinade aren't far behind.  I especially love the use of the marinade.  It always hurts my heart a little to throw a big bag of delicious marinade away.  In this case there is no need to waste.

Ugh.  Is it lunchtime yet?  My stomach is rumbling at the thought of these things.



Adapted from Use Real Butter via Good Fish by Becky Selengut

Makes: 4 servings
Prep Time: 40 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 55 minutes

{Printable Recipe}

Ingredients:
red cabbage slaw (see below)
tequila lime marinade (see below)
sriracha mayo (see below)
1 lb. flaky white fish, I used Haddock
1 tablespoon high-heat oil
corn or flour tortillas
sliced avocado
extra limes for squeezing

red cabbage slaw:
3/4 lb. red cabbage, shredded (about 4 cups)
1 apple, cored and grated
1/2 teaspoon mustard seeds
3/4 cup cilantro, roughly chopped
2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
salt to taste

tequila lime marinade:
1 lime, zest and juice (about 1 teaspoon zest and 2 tablespoons juice)
2 tablespoons tequila
1/2 teaspoon salt
1-2 small jalapenos, halved, seeded, cored, and sliced
1 small red onion, cut into thin half moons
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil

sriracha mayo:
1/4 cup mayo
1 teaspoon lime juice
1/2 teaspoon sriracha
1/4 teaspoon cumin

Directions:
To make the slaw- Place the red cabbage in a colander and rinse thoroughly with water.  Squeeze all of the liquid out and let sit in the colander while you mix the other ingredients.  In a large bowl mix the grated apple, mustard seeds, cilantro, apple cider vinegar, and olive oil together.  Give the cabbage another good squeeze and mix in with the rest of the ingredients.  Season the slaw to taste with salt. Set aside.
To make the sriracha mayo- Combine everything in a small bowl and stir with a spoon until combined. Set aside.
To make the marinade- Combine everything in a gallon ziploc bag and mix it all up.
To make the fish- Place the fish in the ziploc bag and seal.  Let the fish sit for 20 minutes.  After 20 minutes, heat 2 tablespoons of oil over high heat in a large pan.  Remove the fish from the marinade and place in the pan.  Cook for about 3-4 minutes on each side until the fish is lightly browned and flaky.  Remove the fish to a plate and add the marinade to the pan.  Cook on high heat for 5-7 minutes or until the liquid has bubbled off and the onions and peppers are charred.
To serve- Warm your tortillas (I like to do it over the open flame on my gas stove) and prepare each taco with a bit of fish, sriracha mayo, avocado slices, charred onions and peppers, and the red cabbage slaw.  And don't forget to serve with lime wedges for squeezing on top!














4 comments:

  1. Looks and sounds wonderful! I am going to a fish taco party this weekend and will be taking your sides with. Loved your pictures saw them on food quawker!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're speaking me language!! I can't wait to make this :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi!
    I'm Portuguese and I don't know how I found your blog, but I'm glad I did it!
    I think I'm going to be fat :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are so delicious that my daughter claimed they are "better than our usual tacos" which were the long-standing family fave. Well done.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...