Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Cheesy Winter Squash Muffins

No time for chat today.  We are immediately going to talk about the delicious things pictured below.  I'm sure you're okay with that.


Yesterday evening I received a very excited text from the lovely Ms. Lauren telling me that she had just made the muffins from my Meal Plan Monday post and that they were to die for.  Naturally I had to make them immediately.  I don't have time to wait around for delicious things to make their way to my tummy.  And neither should you! 

And the results are in.  I completely agree with Lauren.  They are a perfectly cheesy, savory, squashy, treat for your tummy.  So thank you Lauren!

Feel free to play with the cheeses and savory ingredient combinations.  Lauren and I have been pondering future pairings such as: balsamic pear and blue cheese.  Uh, yes please.

I'll keep you posted on those.

For now....make these.

Cheesy Winter Squash Muffins
 Adapted from: Five and Spice
 

Makes: 12-15 muffins   Prep Time: 10 minutes   Cook Time: 20 minutes (squash) + 20 minutes (muffins)   Total Time: 50 minutes

{Print Me}

Ingredients:
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • 1 medium winter squash (I used butternut), peeled, seeds removed and cut into 1/2 inch cubes.  About 2 cups
  • 2 handfuls of spinach, washed and chopped
  • 3/4 cup freshly grated parmesan
  • 3/4 cup goat cheese
  • 2 teaspoons whole grain mustard
  • 2 eggs
  • 3/4 cup milk
  • 2 cups flour
  • 4 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • freshly ground black pepper

1. Gather those ingredients.  Preheat oven to 425°


2. Cheeeeeese.  I loooove cheese!


3. Toss squash with 2 tablespoons olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper.  Make sure all the pieces are coated.  Spread in a single layer on a baking sheet and toss it into the oven for about 20 minutes.


4. While the squash is in the oven, whisk milk, eggs, and mustard.  Set aside.


5. After 20 minutes, stab a piece of squash to make sure it's tender and done.  Turn down the oven to 400° for the muffins.


6. In a large bowl combine 2/3 of the squash, the spinach, parmesan cheese, and 1/2 cup of goat cheese.  Pour egg/mustard mixture in and stir to combine.


7. Add flour, baking powder, and salt.


8. Stir with a spoon until well mixed.


9. Grease a muffin pan and fill with batter.


10. Sprinkle each muffin with black pepper and top with remaining goat cheese and squash.


11. Bake for 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the middle of one comes out clean.


12. Annnnd they're done!


13. Break 'em open...


14. And enjoy!


P.S. - I served mine with a roasted veggie soup that I'll be sharing soon!

P.P.S- Don't forget to sign up for the cookbook giveaway!  You have 3 more days!  Click {here} to enter.  Good luck!

3 comments:

  1. ahhh best post ever! These are def my favorite muffins I've made in awhile! And I am so looking forward to our muffin shop :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't WAIT for our muffin shop! Let's do a test run soon? :)

      Delete
  2. these sound so yummy! as did all of the recipes from your meal plan monday :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...