Friday, March 9, 2012

Broccoli Quinoa with Pesto


As a general rule I always try to avoid the grocery store when I know we are going to be out of town for a few days.  For some reason I have a hard time going to Trader Joes for just a few things without coming back with a car full of groceries.  Unfortunately, this means that we "starve" (I'm using this term loosely) for the last couple of days before a trip.  Meals usually become a hodge podge of whatever lonesome items are left in the refrigerator.

Today however, was an exception.

As I was weighing my lunch options with the ingredients I had on hand, I remembered a post on 101 Cookbooks.  I looked it up and like magic I had EVERYTHING on the ingredient list.  This never happens in real life.  Especially at this stage of need in the grocery department.  So, I went to it. 

I can't even explain to you how much I loved this dish.  It's incredibly simple to throw together, super tasty, and totally nutritious.  How much better can lunch get?

Broccoli Quinoa with Pesto...

Makes: 4-6 servings   Prep Time: 15 minutes   Cook Time: 15 minutes (Quinoa)   Total Time: 30 minutes

{Print Me}

Ingredients:
  • 3 cups cooked quinoa (Check out this post on cooking quinoa for help!)
  • 5 cups raw broccoli, cut into small florets and stems
  • 4 garlic cloves
  • 2/3 cup sliced almonds, toasted
  • 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan
  • 2 big pinches salt
  • 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
  • 1/4 cup olive oil
  • 1/4 cup heavy cream
  • sliced avocado (optional)
  • feta or goat cheese (optional)
Directions: 
  1. To cook the broccoli, heat 3/4 cup water in a large pot and bring it to a simmer.  Add a pinch of salt and stir in the broccoli.  Cover and cook for about a minute, just long enough to take the raw edge off.  Transfer broccoli to a strainer and run under cold water for about 5 minutes.  Set aside.
  2. To make the broccoli pesto, puree two cups of the cooked broccoli, the garlic, 1/2 cup of the almonds, Parmesan, salt, and lemon juice in a food processor.  Drizzle in the olive oil and cream and pulse until smooth.
  3. Just before serving, toss the quinoa and remaining broccoli florets with about 1/2 of the pesto.  Taste and add a little more at a time if needed.  Also add salt/lemon juice if needed.  Place in a serving bowl and top with remaining almonds, some sliced avocado, and a bit of feta or goat cheese.
  4. Enjoy it!

Just a reminder that I'll be out of town for the next few days enjoying the beautiful mountains of New Hampshire and Vermont!  I promise I'll take a ton of photos and get back to you as soon as I'm back in Beantown.  Hope you have a great weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...