Thursday, March 1, 2012

Chicken Stuffed Artichokes


Remember a while back when I was ranting and raving about finding and cherishing your Grandmother's recipes?  Well, I've got a new rule/pointer for you.

If your mother happens to be a fabulous cook (like mine)...steal her recipe cards.  That's right, I said it.  Steal 'em.  And then blame it on me.  That's fine.

Before I moved to Boston, I pulled a stealthy little move and cleaned out mom's recipe drawer.  And while I was cleaning I may or may not have slid a few things in my back pocket.  And when I say a few...I mean enough recipe cards to fill a box.  No big deal.

As I was browsing through my treasure chest (mom's recipes) I stumbled upon this lovely thing, which you can find in this Meal Plan Monday post.  I had just bought some artichokes, I had some baked chicken and I knew immediately...it was fate.  I had to make them.

I ended up more or less changing the entire recipe but knowing how my mother cooks (the same "little of this, little of that" Grandmother principal) I know that at whatever point in time she made these there is no possible way that they turned out like the recipe card describes.

Now, some of you might be concerned about the whole artichoke thing.  But it's simple.  I promise.  And I'm going to walk you through it.  So don't fret.  Also, Simply Recipes has a wonderful post about how to cook and eat an artichoke which you can find {here}.

Chicken Stuffed Artichokes


Makes: 4 servings   Prep Time: 20 minutes   Cook Time: 1 hour   Total Time: 1 hour 20 minutes

{Print Me}

Ingredients:
  • 4 medium to large artichokes
  • 1 lemon
  • 1 1/2 cups cooked chicken, diced
  • 3/4 cup plain yogurt (or sour cream)
  • 1/3 cup mushrooms, diced
  • 1/3 cup onion, diced
  • 4 garlic cloves, minced
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • 1/2 cup bread crumbs
  • 1/2 cup feta cheese (or any other cheese!)
  • 1/2 teaspoon thyme
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • 1/2 cup chicken broth

1. Rinse the artichokes.


2. Cut off their stems.


3. Cut about 3/4 of an inch to an inch off the tip of the artichoke.


4. Using scissors, cut the tips off of all of the leaves.


5. Rub every part of the artichoke with a lemon.  This keeps it from turning icky colors.


6. Place in a large pot, stem side up.


7. Fill pot with about 2 inches of water.  Place over heat and bring to a boil.  Once a boil is reached, reduce heat, cover, and let simmer for 25-35 minutes or until the outer leaves can easily be pulled off.


8. While your artichokes are cooking, saute mushrooms, onions, and garlic in 1 tablespoon of olive oil until tender.
 

9. In a large bowl combine, diced chicken, yogurt, mushroom/onion mixture, bread crumbs, thyme, feta, salt, and pepper.  Mix it up and set aside.


10.  This is what your artichokes will look like when they are done!  Easy right?  Go ahead and preheat the oven to 350°.


11. Once they are cool enough to work with, start spreading the leaves out.  And uhm...doesn't this look like the flower *monster* thing from Jumanji?!


12. Once you get it all opened up, spoon out the inedible fuzzy part called the choke.


13. Place the prepared artichokes into a baking dish.  Pour 1/2 cup broth into the bottom of the pan.


14. Stuff the artichokes with the chicken mixture.


15. Really pack it in there and then toss it into the preheated oven until heated all the way through.  Around 20-30 minutes.


16. And....


17. Devour!

13 comments:

  1. These look amazing! I wish you would come to my house and cook dinner :) Do your roommates even know how lucky they are?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sue, I'm only a plane ride away from being in your kitchen. Is that too excessive for one meal? Maybe I'll have to stay a while :) And about the roommates...I think they secretly do. But let's be honest. They're pretty darn spoiled.

      Delete
  2. Ummm...I am going to forgive you for stealing my recipes since I rarely cook after you left us for the big city. Well, unless you consider cutting up cheese and opening a bottle of wine cooking. However, I would like to point out that artichokes may be my all-time favorite food. Those little jewels are going to haunt me like the coconut macaroons did until I make them. Is it wrong to dream about food? Nope, didn't think so. How about you have another contest where you have a drawing and go cook dinner for someone. Like me. I want to win that one. Bad. I may even cheat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How about you fund that drawing and I'll do it. Or maybe I could make a career out of it...As long as someone else funds it...

      Delete
  3. These look amazing! I can't wait to try them. My friend made steamed artichokes tonight and everyone (except me) was dipping them in mayo. I thought to myself...there has to be a better way. Fate led me to this beautiful recipe. Love your blog! I shall be a new follower. :)

    Ashley @ fromdahliastodoxies.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah! So glad to hear someone out there isn't a fan of mayo either. Ick. Especially not on a deliciously steamed artichoke! That's sinful. Thanks for stopping by :)

      Delete
  4. I've never cooked artichoke and this is the recipe I will try tonight! It looks so tasty and the step-by-step instructions are very reassuring to me. Thank you for sharing your family recipe! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've never cooked artichoke and this is the recipe I will try tonight! It looks so tasty and the step-by-step instructions are very reassuring to me. Thank you for sharing your family recipe! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks amazing! I have never cooked artichoke before and after a lot of online browsing, I finally decided to try out your recipe. Not only does it look delicious but the step-by-step instructions are very reassuring to me. Thank you for sharing your family recipe! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. i had 2 artichokes in my fruit and veggie basket last weekend and found your recipe for stuffed artichokes. i never had fresh artichokes before, only the ones that come in a jar. so i cooked your recipe tonight and i thought the stuffing was delicious. just did not really know how to combine the artichoke with it (sounds stupid, i know.. right?). alternately eat stuffing and artichoke? or eat the stuffing first, then the artichoke? i steamed one of them yesterday and ate it with aioli (a garlic mayonaise) and thought that was amazing. thanks for the recipe, it was fun trying it :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. omg this is delicious! I subbed cream cheese for yogurt and shredded cheddar for feta. I will definitely be making this again. Thank you so much, wonderful recipe and wonderful blog!
    - Michelle


    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...