Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Black Bean and Sweet Potato Enchiladas

I almost feel bad that it's taken me this long to tell you about these enchiladas.  Why would I keep such wonderful things from you?

Because I'm selfish?  Lazy?  Cruel?

No...none of the above can be true.

I'm telling you about them now.  And that's the important thing.  Right?  Right.

I've been making "these" delicious things for over a year now and they never fail to be an absolute hit. I say "these" because they have come in all different forms over the last year-ground beef, ground turkey, bean and cheese, bean and sweet potato...

I fondly remember the first time I made them.  I wasn't 21 yet and the guys (My Politic) had a show that I couldn't get into.  So, being the best roommate ever (that I am) I stayed home and made the guys some dinner to come home to.  When they rolled in around 1:30 I was half reading a book, half sleeping when all of a sudden I was roused by strange noises coming from the kitchen.  When I went to see what was happening I found both guys with mouths open, guilty/ecstatic looks in their eyes, forks in hand, and both hovered over the dish.  They didn't even take the time to get themselves a plate...which I'm pretty sure was already sitting on the table for them.

So, yeah.  This dish produces strange noises, ravenous excitement, and happy men.

Good luck.

black bean and sweet potato enchiladas...  
with a creamy cilantro corn topping
Makes: 4-6 Servings   Prep Time: 25 minutes  Cook Time: 35 minutes  Total Time: 1 hour

{Printable Recipe}

Ingredients:
for the filling-
2 cans black beans, drained and rinsed
2 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and diced
1 medium onion, diced
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 15-oz can diced tomatoes, drained
2 teaspoons cumin
1 1/2 teaspoons chili powder
1 teaspoon oregano
salt and pepper
8 tortillas
2 cups shredded cheese, Pepper Jack or Mexican blend

for the topping- (Recipe for the topping from A Bountiful Kitchen)
1 can corn, drained
1 4-oz can chopped green chilies
1 cup fresh cilantro leaves
1/3 cup whipping cream
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper 


Directions:
  1. Preheat oven to 350°.
  2. Fill a medium pot with water and bring to a boil.  Add sweet potatoes and cook until tender, about 10-12 minutes. 
  3. In a large saucepan heat olive oil over medium-high heat.  Add onion and saute 3-5 minutes until soft.
  4. Add garlic, tomatoes, cumin, chili powder, oregano, salt and pepper.  Reduce heat and let simmer for 10 minutes.  After 10 minutes add sweet potatoes and black beans.  Stir everything together and simmer for another 5 minutes.  Check seasonings and adjust as needed.
  5. In a food processor, combine all ingredients for the topping.  Pulse until blended.
  6. To assemble the enchiladas spoon the black bean/sweet potato mixture down the middle of the tortilla and sprinkle with 2-3 tablespoons of cheese.  Roll up and place seam side down in a greased 9x13 pan.  Continue this with the rest of your tortillas.
  7. After all of the enchiladas are in the pan spoon the cilantro-corn mixture over the top.
  8. Cover with foil and place in the preheated oven for 20-25 minutes, or until the enchiladas are heated through.  Remove foil, sprinkle with remaining cheese, and return to the oven for 5-10 minutes or until the cheese is bubbly. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...