Thursday, September 13, 2012

Sweet Potato Soup with Buttered Cashews

Oh my goodness.  It's Thursday already?  I thought I had planned on posting this Tuesday?

School is the culprit here.  It's kidnapped my brain and apparently has some snazzy running shoes because I sure can't seem to keep up.

I've been trying to tell myself that it's just the first week and that things will slow down/smooth out.  But that might just be one big lie.  If I'm still losing my mind in a couple of weeks (and therefore being a real slacker about updating and giving you yummy recipes) you'll understand, right?

I'm crossing my fingers.

For your understanding.  And the safe return of my kidnapped brain.

Now.  Let's talk about this soup.  On Monday, I mentioned how that one crisp morning sent me into a fall frenzy.  I've been begging everyone to go apple picking with me, burning fall candles in the apartment, scooping up all of the fall veggies from the farmers markets, and of course transitioning into dishes that scream fall.  --On a side note...I might have one more tomato recipe for you.  It was almost 80° in Boston today and therefore summer isn't quite over!

We were supposed to be talking about the soup, yes?  Right.  This stuff is delicious.  I'm not a big fan of the whole "sweet" sweet potato thing.  I don't want brown sugar close by.  Or marshmallows.  Or honey.  Or anything else that might comprise the savory sweet potato.  But hey, that's just my opinion.  I want it tossed around with some other veggies.  Some spices.  Maybe even a bit spicy.

And that's exactly what this soup is.

sweet potato soup...  
with buttered cashews and fresh rosemary

Makes: 4-6 servings   Prep Time: 10 minutes   Cook Time: 35 minutes   Total Time: 45 minutes

{Printable Recipe}

Ingredients:
1 onion, diced
2 leeks, washed and cut into rounds
3 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed
3 cloves garlic, chopped
dab of butter
5 ounces white wine
4 cups broth (veal, chicken, or vegetable)
1 bay leaf
pinch of cayenne pepper, to taste
1 can chickpeas (14 ounces)
a few sprigs fresh rosemary
salt and pepper to taste

for serving-
4 tablespoons cashews
5 teaspoons butter
sea salt
1 tablespoon crème fraîche for each bowl



Directions:
In a large pot braise the onions, leeks, sweet potatoes, and garlic in the butter by allowing them to brown for several minutes on medium-high heat without disturbing them.  Once they are brown, stir and let them brown a bit more.  After this add the wine and let simmer for just a minute.  It will smell delicious at this point!  Blend in the broth, bay leaf, and cayenne.  Cover the pot and simmer on low heat for 25 minutes.  After 25 minutes remove half of the vegetables from the pan and puree the other half with a blender.  Replace the vegetable puree and add the can of chickpeas and several sprigs of rosemary.  Taste and add salt and pepper accordingly.  Right before serving, fry the cashews in the butter until fragrant and brown and then sprinkle with sea salt.  Serve the soup in large bowls with a small amount of buttered cashews, 1 tablespoon of crème fraîche, and several sprigs of rosemary.



6 comments:

  1. I am soooo excited to make this! Buttered cashew topping!? AMAZING! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right?? Love it! Kaston sneakily ate the entire bowl of the buttered cashews before the night was over!

      Delete
  2. This soup is so colorful - it's worth making for its color alone!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it's gorgeous! Especially with the creme fraiche, rosemary and cashews!

      Delete
  3. I love your blog!
    Very nice recipes, I will try out a few of them soon.

    I also have a foodblog, will you come take a peek? :)

    http://mandyderoo.blogspot.com
    delicious and healthy (vegetarian) recipes

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...