Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Double Chocolate Cherry Cookies



After seeing all kinds of posts about The Great Food Blogger Cookie Swap of 2011 I knew I needed to join in on the fun this year.

Baking cookies, meeting new bloggers, donating to a great foundation, and receiving three DOZEN amazing cookies of my own?  No need to twist my arm.

Seriously though.  You want to know where to sign up for next year don't you?  Luckily if you click right {here} you'll be there in no time.

Before I get to the cookies I sent out...I should tell you about the deliciousness that I received.  The first box that arrived was a little box of heaven.  They were salted nutella chocolate chip yummy goodness.  The second box had a cookie bar with chocolate chips, m&ms, oats and some sort of gooeyness.  The third box had the most adorable chocolate crinkle cookies.  All of them were equally delicious and resulted in several upset (but oh so happy) tummies.  As soon as I find the recipes for them...I'll update this so you can enjoy too!  And thank you to the three wonderful people that sent the cookies!  You're amazing!



After much deliberation I decided to go with a Double Chocolate Cherry Cookie because 1) I love chocolate and 2) I love dried cherries.  It's as easy as that.  The recipe makes 4 dozen since I was making 3 dozen to send...and well...that last dozen...might have been for me...but either way it can be scaled down quite easily if you aren't planning on baking cookies for a village.

So get to baking.  You won't regret it once you sink your teeth into a big chocolatey cherry.  Mmm.



Adapted from the Milk & Cookies Cookbook

Makes: About 4 dozen cookies
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Bake Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 20 minutes

{Printable Recipe}

Ingredients:
4 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup dutch process cocoa powder
2 teaspoons baking soda
2 teaspoons espresso granules
1 teaspoon salt
2 cups butter, at room temperature
1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
1 1/2 cups brown sugar
4 eggs
2 tablespoons vanilla extract
3 cups chocolate chips
2 cups dried cherries

Directions:
  1. Preheat oven to 350° and line 2 baking sheets with silicone mats or parchment paper.  Set aside.
  2. Combine flour, cocoa, baking soda, espresso granules, and salt in a bowl and set aside.  
  3. In the bowl of a stand mixer fit with the paddle attachment, beat granulated sugar, brown sugar, and butter for several minutes until light and fluffy.  Combine the eggs and vanilla in a small bowl and add to the butter/sugar mixture gradually.  Scrape the sides of the bowl with a rubber spatula.  Slowly add the flour/cocoa mixture until just combined.  Make sure not to over mix.
  4. Remove bowl from the stand and stir in chocolate chips and cherries using a wooden spoon.  Using a tablespoon (or something equivalent) drop the dough onto the baking sheets placing the cookies about 2 inches apart.  Bake for 10 minutes, remove from oven, and allow to cool on a wire rack.
  5. Grab a glass of milk and enjoy!






Also...how cute is that box label!  Photoshop goddess Ashley from The Uniqueness of Being made it.  Go visit her and tell her how awesome she is!

5 comments:

  1. These were so good I only got to eat 3 of them. The rest were devoured by my pack of hungry brothers while I was away. They were much loved!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum! Chocolate and cherries are delicious together. I wish you had send me the extra dozen. *hehe*
    Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These look so amazing and I can't wait to make them!

    Just one question- I can't do espresso. Is there a substitute for that I could use, or is it possible to completely omit them from the mix?

    With only 2 tsp in there it shouldn't make a huge difference, I just would rather err on the side of caution than have it in there and causing trouble, as it were.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi! The cookies will be totally fine if you just omit the espresso. Depending on what you can't do (if it's just specifically espresso) you could substitute it for instant coffee. Good luck!

      Delete
    2. Thank you so much for the answer! I look forward to making these. You rock! :D

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...