Saturday, January 14, 2012

Chocolate Coconut Macaroons

It's official.  I'm back.  Back in lovely Boston.  Back to somewhat of a normal schedule.  And although it's absolutely freezing, I'm soaking in these last days of break like it's nobody's business.

As you might have seen in my last post, we actually arrived late Monday night.  However, for the last couple of days we have had the pleasure of entertaining some guests from home, the soon to be Mr. and Mrs. Ruble.  It was an absolute blast having them here and showing them around "our" city.  Showing people around always allows me to take a step back and open my eyes back up to all of the beautiful aspects and pieces of this city that get shoved out of thought during the hustle and bustle of every day life.  It's quite refreshing.

In light of the busy week we have had...I haven't exactly gotten around to making some of the yummy dinners I have planned.  However, I plan on all of that changing tomorrow.  I'm thinking a nice whole wheat pasta with sausage, butternut squash, and roasted peppers.  Yum?

While I haven't gotten around to making dinner...I did get around to making a sweet little treat.  And oh me, oh my.  These are heavenly.  Kaston is quite the connoisseur of coconut macaroons and I believe he was impressed.  Beyond that, I have no better description.  Only a demand.  Make these.  And share them with all of your friends.

Chocolate Coconut Macaroons
Makes: 24 Macaroons   Prep Time: 15 minutes   Baking Time: 20-25 minutes   Total Time: 1 hour


Ingredients:
  • 1/2 cup milk
  • 1/4 cup sugar
  • 2 tablespoons flour
  • pinch of salt
  • 2 egg yolks
  • 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • two 14 ounce bags sweetened shredded coconut
  • 6 egg whites
  • 1 cup sugar
  • pinch of salt
1. Gather your ingredients.

 2. To make the pastry cream: In a small saucepan, scald the milk over medium-high heat.  Bubbles will start to form around the edge of the pan, but the milk will not yet be at a boil.

 3. While the milk is heating, stir together 1/4 cup sugar, 2 tablespoons flour, and a pinch of salt in a small bowl.

 4. In a medium bowl, whisk egg yolks until blended.
5. Slowly whisk in flour mixture.  The mixture will be thick and kind of lumpy.
6. Remove milk from the heat and slowly add it to the egg-flour mixture, a little at a time, whisking constantly.

 7. When all of the milk has been incorporated, return the contents of the bowl to the saucepan and place over medium heat.  Whisk continuously for about a minute until the mixture thickens and comes to a boil.
8. Remove from heat and stir in the vanilla.

 
9. Cover with plastic and let it cool completely.
 10. Preheat oven to 350° and line a baking sheet with parchment paper or rub with butter.
11. In a large bowl, combine coconut, egg whites, sugar, salt, and pastry cream.

 12. Stir until well combined.

 13. Using a 1/4-cup measuring cup or large spoon, scoop dough in rounded mounds onto the prepared baking sheet.

 14. Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until golden brown all over.  Remove from oven and let cool for 15-20 minutes.

 15. Once cooled, dip the bottoms into a bowl of melted chocolate.  Set on wax paper to harden.

 16. Grab a glass of milk...

17. ....time to eat!

 18. Enjoy!

19. Oh and don't forget to share!  This is his "Ohhh they are so good." face.  Deceiving I know.

3 comments:

  1. Made these tonight. I have never found a recipe for coconut macaroons that was just like a specialty bakery but these are. A lot of bowls to make them but they are wonderful. Next time I will try to make them smaller. Thanks for a yummy treat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you enjoyed them! The recipe is definitely a keeper in my book.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...