Saturday, July 14, 2012

Ginger Peach Muffins

By now I think I've made it very clear how much I adore my Flour cookbook, right?  If not, please refer {here}, {here}, {here}, {here}, OR {here}.  You get the picture right?

After going a solid month without baking (except for that little 4th of July cheesecake...) I was starting to have withdrawals.  I've been aching for a day in the kitchen to whip up something scrumptious.  Seeing as though I was a little out of touch with my baking self, I immediately referred to my trusty Flour cookbook for inspiration.  I had peaches on hand so I was on a narrow search and of course Flour turned up just what I wanted.  Ginger Peach Muffins.  This cookbook always seems to turn up just what I need.  Peach muffins?  Delicious.  Peach muffins with ginger?  You're kidding.

These were just what I needed to get back into the swing of baking.  And today I'm going to start the two day croissant making process via Flour's instructions.  I definitely won't be posting a recipe (since the instructions are 4 pages long!) but I will make sure to take some pictures and let you know how it goes.

Ready to bake?

ginger peach muffins...  
from the Flour Cookbook

Makes: 24 regular muffins or 12 monster muffins   Prep Time: 10 minutes   Bake Time: 30-40 minutes   Cooling Time: 20 minutes   Total Time: 1 hour 10 minutes

{Printable Recipe}

Ingredients:
3 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
4 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 eggs
1 egg yolk
1 1/3 cups sugar
1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons butter, melted
1 cup milk, at room temperature
1 cup sour cream, at room temperature
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
4 ripe peaches, pitted and chopped
1/4 cup crystallized ginger, finely chopped
2 tablespoons fresh ginger, minced 


Preheat oven to 350° and butter, coat with nonstick cooking spray, or line a 12-cup muffin tin with paper liners.


Gather the salt, baking soda, baking powder, and flour.
 

Sift everything together...


into a large bowl and set aside.


In a medium bowl add two eggs and the yolk of a third.


Whisk together until thoroughly mixed.


Slowly whisk in 1 1/3 cups sugar...


2 teaspoons vanilla extract...


1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons melted butter...


1 cup sour cream at room temperature...


1 cup milk at room temperature...


Whisking until well combined.


Pour the butter/sugar mixture into the flour mixture, using a rubber spatula to fold gently until the ingredients are well combined.


Remove the pits from the peaches...


and chop them into smaller pieces.


Chop the crystallized ginger into tiny pieces...


and grate the fresh ginger.


Add the peaches and ginger to the batter and mix everything up.


Spoon batter into the prepared cups, dividing evenly and filling the cups to the rim until they are almost overflowing.  Bake for 30-40 minutes or until the muffins are golden brown on top and spring back when pressed in the middle.


Let cool on a wire rack for 20 minutes and then remove the muffins from the pan.


Serve warm with a little bit of butter and a big cup of hot tea!  Enjoy.

8 comments:

  1. Mmmmmm peaches are my favourite! Will definitely give this a go :) x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And ginger goes PERFECTLY with them! Let me know how they turn out :)

      Delete
  2. Yummy! A friend of mine gave me the Flour cookbook a few months back - it's amazing! Then, of course, when we went to Boston in May, we HAD to go to Flour.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right! I'm so happy to hear that someone else loves it. And YES you have to go to Flour when in Boston! And since I live in Boston I should probably go more often....

      Did you know Joanne Chang also has an actual restaurant in Boston? It's on my must visit list. It's called Myers and Chang and it's located in the South End. Check it out next time you're in town! http://www.myersandchang.com/

      Delete
  3. This looks delicious and your pictures are amazing. Would love for you to share your photos with us at foodepix.com.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jo! I checked out foodepix and submitted a few recipes! Can't wait to explore!

      Delete
  4. Oh wow! These look delicious! I'm loving your blog and all the pictures and I'm now following it :)

    If you have a few minutes to spare, feel free to check out my blog and follow if it tickles your fancy! :) I'm a lover of food photography and post mostly that on my blog! I would love it if you would share some tips/advice when it comes to food photography since you do such an amazing job with it :)

    Have a great day!

    neha
    neha made

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I just checked out your blog and it's adorable! I can't wait to see more.

      I'll have to ponder my food photography tips since I still feel like I'm very much in the learning stage :) But I would love to chat about it with you sometime because you take some really lovely pictures!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...