Thursday, September 20, 2012

Mediterranean Baked Tomatoes

Last week I mentioned that I might have one more tomato recipe for you.

Well, guess what?

I've finally decided to pull through on that statement!  And it's a good one.

I know it's getting a little late for tomatoes...and I know I've already pledged my loyalty to Fall...but...in 2 months when I'm walking to class in horrendously cold temperatures with even colder wind blowing in my face...I might need to look back on this post for just a little bit of summertime warmth.

So, I actually made this dish while I was back in Missouri.  Yes, that's right.  I did indeed prepare food while I was in Missouri.  It's hard to believe, I know.  Actually, if you refer back to this post about the Zucchini and Mint Gazpacho you will see that I prepared a lot of food...it just happened to all be in one night.

It's still a toss up for the favorite dish of that particular evening (like I said...you should check out the menu...it was epic) but this one was a definite contender.  It was decided at the dinner table that this would be excellent for breakfast.  Not that it wouldn't be (or wasn't) great for lunch and dinner but, a nice warm plate of this with a piping hot cup of coffee first thing in the morning?

Talk about starting your day off right.

I will go ahead and say that I wish there were more pictures.  But there were a lot of dishes that evening to try and capture.  As well as quite a few hungry people standing around wondering why in the world I was taking pictures of the food that could have been entering their mouths at that point in time.  But at least I was able to fend off the ravenous bunch for a few moments, right?

Mediterranean Baked Tomatoes

Adapted from fresh365

Makes: 4-6 servings  Prep Time: 15 minutes   Bake Time: 25-30 minutes   Total Time: 45 minutes

{Printable Recipe}

Ingredients:
4 cups ciabatta bread, cut into 1/2 inch cubes and toasted
2 cups packed arugula
12 eggs beaten together
2 large tomatoes, sliced
large handful basil leaves, sliced thin
2 cups feta cheese, crumbled
3 tablespoons olive oil
6 shallots, sliced thin
salt and pepper to taste

Directions:
To toast bread-Preheat oven to 275° and cut bread into 1/2 inch cubes.  Spread the bread cubes onto a baking sheet in a single even layer.  Bake for 20 minutes or until completely dry.  Stir cubes every 5 minutes or so to ensure that they dry evenly.

After toasting the bread cubes, increase oven heat to 400°.  Transfer bread to a 9x13inch pan and spread evenly in the bottom.  Cover bread with the arugula and beaten eggs, sprinkle with salt and pepper, then top with the basil, tomatoes, and feta.  Place in the oven and bake for 25-30 minutes or until the cheese is starting to brown and the eggs are set.

While the dish is baking, heat olive oil over medium heat.  Add shallots and cook for 8-10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until golden brown and crispy.

Remove dish from oven, salt and pepper to taste, and top with additional basil and crispy shallots.




P.S. - I made the most delicious stuffed butternut squash tonight for dinner.  So delicious in fact that I just might have to share it with you tomorrow.  We will see.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...